Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ballroom Last Night

OK, we did NOT start on choreography. Origionally, Dan (the guy who used to be on the BYU Ballroom dance team & who teaches us) was going to do the choreography for us, but now me, my friend Jasmine, & the other people in the club are going to have to do it ourselves. Actually, it's not that bad, since we've learned over 20 tricks & moves.

Last night was tons of fun though. We started learning this trick where we start in closed dance position (picture shown), the girl jumps over the connected hands, then do a back-flip from there. Believe it or not, this is actually really hard. We were working on the jumping-over-the-hands part for at least half an hour. Since none of the girls could get to the point where they were jumping over every time, we quit and went to something else. Let's just say that my feet hate me today.

Closed dance position
My shoulder hates me too because we also learned how to do this really cool thing (It's not really a trick, but then it is really hard to do. At least for us taller girls). It's like an illusion, let's call it that. Pretty much, we do the rock-step triple-step and then the girl spreads her legs apart, flexes everything, pushes on the guy to keep her up, and the guy turns so that it looks like the girl is ice-skating. It's super duper cool looking, but I did not do it perfectly once. (Quite frustrating, because I usually catch on fast). I feel bad for my partner, because I tried so hard to keep myself up, but I somehow ended up being dead weight, so it looked like my partner was trying to swing around a gigantic rag doll. 

While learning how to do that jumping trick I mentioned earlier, the guys were paranoid that their girl was going to fall. So, Dan decided to use me to demonstrate what to do in "emergency situations". He just told me to try to jump over, and every single time he would say "OH NO SHE'S GONNA FALL!" and he would "save" me. One of the times he helped me have a graceful landing to the floor. I was a little frustrated because I was not able to jump over my partners' arm, so I would try my hardest to jump over and he would stop me. Oh well, it was still pretty funny.
 
Life lesson (for guys): Never drop your girl.

2 comments:

  1. Actually Sammi was able to get to the point where she could jump over every time. Probably because she had such a great partner!

    Did you see when Sammi kicked me in the face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Sammi is so lucky! I could not jump over to save my soul! She was very lucky to have a great partner! ;) haha.

    No, I didn't! Was it when we were learning that one thing when the guy ducks and the girl kicks over him? I almost kicked Keir in the head quite a few times, but then it was his fault :P

    ReplyDelete